Friday, October 29, 2010

Kendall's Birth Story 10-21-2010

Kendall has her days and nights confused and tonight she’s decided she will not sleep on her back. So I thought what better time to write her birth story.
As I had mentioned on October 20 we were given the option to be induced on the 21 because Kendall measured 8 lb 8 oz on her 39 week growth ultrasound. That night we dropped Wilson off at my parents, Chris got a haircut, made a Target run for Tylenol PM(how else would I fall asleep?) and had a nice dinner out together. I was really anxious and emotional that evening.
We woke up at around 4:45 am on October 21 to call L&D and make sure we could come in. That morning was pretty peaceful driving to the hospital in anticipation of our baby girl. We checked in and were in a delivery/recovery room by 7:30. Soon after our nurse came in and attempted to stick me with an IV. This was honestly my greatest fear, haha! She ended up having to try it twice and Chris had to fan me off and put a wet rag on my forehead so I wouldn’t pass out.
I was still measuring 2 cm and 80% effaced and they started me on pitocin around 8:30 ish. Nothing really started happening until around 9:30 when my DR came into break my water. Hello contractions! I requested some Stadol (sp?) to take the edge off since they couldn’t give me the EPI until they knew I was in true labor.
Not long after having my water broken I was 5 cm!!! The contractions starting getting more painful and I was starting to feel some intense pressure in my lower back and things. It was so bad I wanted nothing more than to move around but they wouldn’t let me so I requested the epidural around noon. I thought I was going to pass out from the pain I was feeling during my epidural. The epidural itself was cake. I did everything they told me to do and it was over quickly. I texted Chris to come back in since they made him leave.
I could feel the effects of the epidural instantly but started feeling this annoying numbing/falling asleep feeling in my right butt cheek. (Classy, right? Lol) Around 2:30 they checked me and I was already at 8 cm!!! We knew we would have our little princess soon.
I’m a little confused about the next two hours so I’m not sure what happened first. I was 10 cm +1 station around 4:30 and they needed Kendall in a +2 or +3 before we could start pushing. Her face was transverse and her heart rate started to drop. I don’t remember hearing that and I’m glad I didn’t because I would have freaked out! They put an oxygen mask on me and laid me on my sides for the next hour or so hoping to get her to move down.
Any who sometime after this they wanted me to start pushing. The doctor was busy… imagine that. I did some pushing and it was getting nowhere. I couldn’t feel my contractions or where to push and it felt like this baby was going to immerge from my throbbing right butt cheek. So they said we could either A) turn off the epidural so I could feel contractions or B) do a c section. Clearly, I chose option A. Bye-bye Pain meds!
Around 6:30 I started feeling my contractions so I began making progress pushing. I cannot explain the intense pressure I felt during the contractions. It took everything I had to push and then I could literally pass out in between them. So weird how that works.
I started really feeling the urge to push this baby out but my DR was called to another delivery. Seriously? I asked the nurse (who had switched during pushing btw) if she could deliver this baby and she said “not this big of a baby”. I told my mom and Chris they might have too.
My doctor finally comes around 7:30. At one point I reached down and could feel her head. I really feel that that gave me the energy to get the job done. Just knowing I was about to meet my daughter was the only thing keeping me going at this point. If they had wanted to do a c section at this point I didn’t care I wanted the pressure to end so badly.
After a few rounds of successful pushing and one final big push I felt the wonderful, sweet relief of my daughter’s body passing through. I can’t explain how good it felt when she came out. Instantly I was in no pain.
They placed her body on my belly and I just melted. I had tears of joy and kept loving on my baby girl. Love at first sight.
Kendall Grace Ryan was born at 7:47 pm and weighed 8 lb 14 oz and was 20 inches long.
Daddy took video of Kendall being weighed and checked outwhile I was being stitched. 4th degree episiotomy… pretty sure that’s as far as it can go. (Again real classy I share this, right?) I just loved seeing Chris hold his baby girl in his arms. She just kept staring at him.
We loved on Kendall and I nursed her for the first time. AMAZING. I look back on the whole experience with such joy. I would do it again and again to get the same prize.
Techinically my labor/delivery wasn’t completely medication free but I take great pride in the fact that I had zero pain meds during pushing. I am also blessed that I have not felt any real pain from delivery.
Kendall is the most beautiful little girl in the whole world. She looks just like mommy and daddy and has the longest hair I’ve ever seen on a newborn! We are so happy to be a family of 3 (4 including Wilson).
I LOVE my life!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing!!! You did an awesome job!! So glad Kendall is here in this world now. I hope she gets her days and nights switched. And don't get worried if she doesn't sleep on her back. My daughter Jada has slept on her belly since Day 1. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm glad that's over but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to be posting so late but I just have to. What a beautiful story and thank you for sharing it all! It made me cry - so amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete