Wednesday, March 2, 2011

4 month check up & adventures in baby food

Monday morning I took Kendall for her 4 month well doctors appointment. She did so good and everyone thought she was so cute!

Kendall weighs 14 pounds & 6 oz. She is 24 3/4 inches long. (I think she's longer.) She's in the 75 percentile for her age. She had to get 2 shots but she did so good.. Dr. D made her a beautiful pink crochet hat to thank us for participating in the breastfeeding press conference. I just love Dr. D! She was so impressed with Kendall and said she acted more mature than a 4 month old!
I had no clue we would be discussing solid foods at 4 months but Dr. D said with Kendall's excellent head control and her infatuation with watching us eat we should go ahead and strart!

Baby foods kind of caught me off guard. So soon? My baby is growin up? What? It's bittersweet for me. On one hand I can't believe we are to this point and she is already 4 months old. It's sad for me as her mommy who wants her to be a baby forever to think my breastmilk will not be her only nutrition anymore.
But on the other hand I'm SO EXCITED to see my baby girl's face when she tries people food!!!
I made the decision when I was prego that I would try and make Kendall's baby food. I've done some research and have found it's super easy!!! It's also super affordable and efficient. I could make 3-4 months of baby food in just a few hours and have my freezer stocked. It's also the best I can offer her next to breastmilk. Fresh food purees are far better than baby food in a jar.
Of course her main nutrition for a year will be my breastmilk and I'm sure she will have the occassional store bought baby food for convenience but even if I make 75% of her baby food it's better than none.

I'm so hardcore about this that I bought some ice cube freezer trays and this book

and this Magic Bullet.

As soon as my book comes in I'm going to get her started. I plan on documenting my adventures with baby food on this blog for my own personal reference and for anyone who would be interested in trying themselves.

Oh and in other Kendall news... we have found our toes and we love them!

1 comment:

  1. Have you looked into the Baby Lead Weaning that YHL is doing?

    ReplyDelete