Tuesday, June 28, 2011

4th of July Plans

The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays. I love the USA and I love celebrating a holiday in the summer. There is nothing better than grilled food, fireworks, swimming in the pool and getting a paid holiday off from work! :)
I also love our flag colors: red, white and blue!!! One day I plan on hosting a fun 4th of July party and I will decorate like crazy!


For now I will just attend my parents 4th of July party!!! However, I will not show up empty handed...
I have a few food items I will be bringing. They are both desserts (do I make anything else?) that I found on the internet this week.

1. Chocolate Chip Cheese Dip (found on Laura's blog)
I almost made this the moment I saw it on her blog! That would've been bad news in my weight department so I'm saving it for a holiday. Ha!

what ya need:
1 8 oz. package of softened cream cheese--use the fatty kind. go big or go home.
1/2 cup of softened butter
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans
Blend the cream cheese and butter together until completely mixed. Add the powdered sugar and blend. Mix in the brown sugar and vanilla. Gently stir in the chocolate chips & pecans if you decide to use them. Serve with graham cracker sticks or vanilla wafers.

I'm cheating and using a Red Velvet mix for the cupcakes but I'm going to attempt this delicious sounding frosting. Yum!
Frosting:

1/2 cup white chocolate chips
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 tbsp butter, softened
1 tbsp sour cream
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Melt white chocolate in microwave or in double broiler. Stir constantly till melted and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally to maintain liquid consistency. Beat cream cheese, butter, and sour cream on high just until combined. Add in cooled white chocolate and vanilla, beat on high until combined. Ice cupcakes generously and enjoy!

 
I am going to have to break down and buy a double boiler before Christmas baking season. Or I could try this. I FAILED last year making cake balls because I didn't have one. That and I used chocolate bark verses the chocolate baking chips.
 
Anyways those are my 4th of July treat plans. How do you celebrate the 4th? What treats do you like to make?

2 comments:

  1. So glad you're using the recipe! I could eat a bowl of it...easily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost made that chocolate chip cheese ball immediately after seeing it on Laura's blog too! I'm saving it for my Dad's upcoming birthday party.

    What was your cake ball disaster? I LOVE them and made 300+ at Christmas time. Maybe I can help you ... they are too delish to pass up! :)

    ReplyDelete