Friday, January 13, 2012

Household Notebook

Sometime last year it seemed like everyone was going crazy over household notebook and Erin Condren life planners. I am too cheap to spend $25-$50 on a planner… especially when I use the calendar on my Iphone. However, the idea of a household notebook intrigued me.

I’ve always kept a “financial folder”. You know the folder where you stash all your bills for the month, budget and password. The idea of a household notebook got me thinking about how I could stay more organized with lots more things in our household.

(At the end of this post I will provide links to blogs with lots of free pintables and more ideas for a household notebook.)

Without further adieu I present you our household notebook…

Cover

DSC_0059        

Inside Pouch ( where I stuff crap I need to do something with… like new insurance card that needs to go in my car, pampers rewards to be entered online, chris’s new medical card I need to slide in his wallet… you know that stuff.)DSC_0060

I have 5 categories for our binder. Some people use lots more and I may add some if I feel the need down the road as I see fit. In the future I would also like to get a cuter binder and dividers but everything I used were items I already had. If it’s FREE it’s for ME!

1. Family Planning

DSC_0062

DSC_0063

This is where I keep my “to do lists”,  weekly menu planning worksheets and blank pages so I can write random notes. I just created this area in the notebook a few days ago so I’m not sure how it’s all going to go down. I’d really like to get back into meal planning.

2. Family CalendarDSC_0067

I printed blank calendars for the next 4 months from Microsoft office publisher and printed off Chris’s school calendar. I’m not the best at using a paper calendar but if I can just transfer important dates from my iphone to this calendar I will be happy.

3. Family Financials

DSC_0068

I make a “bills sheet” every month that includes the “bill, due date, amount due, amount paid, balance and a column to check that it’s been paid”. It’s nothing special… just an excel spreadsheet but if you want one let me know and I will email it to you. So that bill sheet goes in there as well as all our account info for things I pay online.

I printed a monthly budget paper I’m hoping to start using. I’d really like to get some credit card debt paid off so I’m hoping a budget will help.

4. Work in Progress

DSC_0070

This is the area where I put more crap I need to work on or that needs action. For example Chris received something in the mail regarding something with work he needs to handle so he wrote on the envelope “Shelli Don’t Throw Away!” so that goes in this section. I also keep my EOB’s (explanation of benefits) for our insurance so when the bills arrive they are all in one place.DSC_0069

I also keep a list of blog ideas in this section and plan on printing some blog info and keeping it in this spot.

5. Important Info

DSC_0071

This section is blank at the moment but I have big plans for it. Here are some ideas I’m thinking: Vehicle maintenance logs, pet information, bank and credit card phone numbers (ya know in case one of us loses our wallets) and important phone numbers like the dentist, HVAC guy etc.

So there you have it…. my attempt to be a more organized female head of household.

Blogs to check out with lots of household notebook ideas and printables.

Iheartorganizing

A bowl full of lemons

Planning makes perfect

4 comments:

  1. Love this binder.... such a great idea and way to keep everything in one place instead of 10. I am going to develop one for my family. Love your bills excel sheet idea, I would really like to start using something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your binder!! It's so nice to have everything organized and in one place! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the binder...I am sure it will make things so much easier especially when you go to pay bills. It's so nice to have everything in one place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Dropping by from Kelly's Korner.

    ReplyDelete