Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Book Club – Gone Girl Review

When my friend Sara asked me to be a part of a book club I was super excited! I love reading a good book and it's even better when others do too. There were 4 of us at Sara's last night and we had such a great time. Sara is such a gracious host and she had such a cute spread. Of course, I forgot to take a single picture. Imagine that.

Gone Girl: A Novel

We talked about the book on and off for a grand total of twenty minutes and spent the rest of the night discussing child birth, breastfeeding and furbabies. Ha! Wild group, I tell you! It was so nice to get together and have girl time. We laughed so much and all truly enjoyed our evenings to just be girls. No husbands, no babies, no toddlers.

Since it was a book club gathering... I will talk about what we liked/disliked about the book.

SPOILERS AHEAD

******************************

- IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK - STOP HERE AND GO READ GONE GIRL OR SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST!

In the first half of the book we all had mixed feelings/ideas about what was going on. Was Nick guilty? Was Amy really gone/dead? Did he have "too" close of a

connection with his twin sister? Did Andie do it?

When we found out the big "surprise" we all thought Amy was cray-cray. We thought the Ozarks were weird too. What was the point of all that?

The ending. We all felt that the author was building something up. Was Nick going to prove that his wife was guilty? Was he going to kill her? Was Boney going to come to Nick's aide?

And then it ended and they were together. WTF!  We all felt the ending was very abrupt and kind of a letdown.

Personally, I felt that Nick and Amy kind of deserved one another. They had a very toxic, unhealthy relationship and it somehow bonded them together. The end. Ha!

********************

END OF SPOILERS

Our next book club selection should be interesting. It's definitely something I would have never chosen to read. It has solid reviews so I may be surprised!

Have you ever been a part of a book club?

What did you think of Gone Girl?

2 comments:

  1. Of course I agree with everything! I had so much fun. It was great for me to get some girl time!! I'm intriqued about this next book and our meet up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agreed with nearly everything you said about Gone Girl. What is your next book selection, I'm curious?

    ReplyDelete