Sunday, August 5, 2012

Foyer Table Redo Part 1

I scored this dresser for FREE. It’s old and unique and I have high expectations for it to spruce up my foyer. It is painted so ugly so it’s been living in our garage for several months.

Isn’t it beautiful? I love how shabby chic the shape is and the cute little key holes.

DSC_0963

The sides are cool too!

DSC_0964

I love the curved drawers. I have plans to mod podge some fabric or pretty paper in the bottom.

DSC_0965

The handles are glass. Not sure I will keep them but they are very unique.

DSC_0966

THIS BLOG POST is my inspiration for this piece. Does it not look crazy identical to my dresser? Not sure I will mimic the same colors/hardware she did, but I love the stained top/painted bottom combo.

STEP 1: Strip off years and years of paint and hopefully find pretty wood.

This stuff will burn your skin! I learned it the hard way yesterday so today I work long sleeves/shirt and mask/gloves.

    DSC_0967

Apply a layer onto piece and watch it bubble up. Wait 15 or so minutes.DSC_0969

Scrape, scrape and scrape some more. Look it’s a rainbow!DSC_0968 

I think every inch of this dresser will need to be stripped 3-4 times. Geez!

Look I’ve found wood! It’s pretty too!DSC_0971

My husband decided to take pictures of me working on my project!DSC_0973 DSC_0974

Done for the night! It’s going to take a lot more work than I anticipated but I know it will be worth it!

DSC_0978 DSC_0979

3 hours later of scraping 4+ layer of paint later and I officially will never paint over paint. WHY do people do this???? If I didn’t love this dresser, I would’ve given up!

Stay tuned for more on this project!

2 comments:

  1. Guilty of painting over paint and painting wood in general! :O I'm just drawn to white furniture! I have three pieces of furniture (two nightstands and one dresser) that I'm trying to decide if I'm going to paint, stain, or leave as is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am far too impatient and lazy to do all the work of removing layers like that. You are doing a greatvjob and I can't wait to see the finished product!!

    ReplyDelete