Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Hashimoto's & No Carb Pizza Crust

I am awaiting more blood work but more than likely I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. My thyroid does not make enough hormones (hypothyroidism). I am kind of relieved to be finding this out and getting it treated because for some time I have felt a little off. A few months ago I had complained about a new birth control generic I was given and how it was making me irritable and depressed sometimes. Now I think it was my thyroid all along! I also relate to the other symptoms like fatigue, itchy skin/hair loss, and constipation. (TMI, lol) With hypothyroidism, it can be very difficult to lose weight because your metabolism is slower. Medicine will help regulate my thyroid but I have been proactive about researching what I can do to be my healthiest while all of this is getting figured out.

Low glycemic index foods, gluten free and NO refined, processed sugars and carbs. Basically everything I crave! But I am being proactive and searching for recipes and meal ideas to help me feel my best!

Hence this no carb pizza crust. I found the ORIGINAL recipe here. I could not find almond meal at my grocery store so I used flax meal. While I was mixing the ingredients I was not optimistic about this crust.




But it really wasn't that bad. I used to make pizzas using wheat tortillas or wraps and the taste is similar to that. I think if I added turkey pepperonis or some other toppings it would be more appealing. I was just playing in the kitchen this time around!

8 comments:

  1. At least now you know what's going on right! The meds will probably make it easier for you to lose weight so that's a good thing! That pizza looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had hypothryroidism since college. I actually had to have my entire thyroid removed due to goiters/growths. I've never altered my diet at all - maybe I should have, but no way am I doing it so it is what it is.

    I'm just going to be real with you - having a thyroid issue is a PIA. You want to blame your fatness on the thyroid, in my situation the medication never helped me lose weight. Doctor's will say your level is within X range so you are good, but still feel like crap. It's so annoying and frustrating.

    Email me and we will chat - I don't want to put all my negativity in my comment! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you start feeling better soon! I follow a similar diet. You can find lots of great gluten substitutes, so not the end of the world :) Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great! It is different that the one I had seen in the past, that one had an entire block of cream cheese, I had to dig to find the recipe, but if you want to try it, here is where you can find it:

    http://theysmell.com/delicious-no-carb-pizza-recipe/

    I hope that when you start the meds and work your carb free diet you'll start to lose the weight you wanted to lose! I have a friend who battles with thyroid problems and it's hard for her to lose weight too, but she does it slowly but surely! You can too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope this gets you back to feeling like you! Good luck on this journey! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can get almond meal at Trader Joes...its with their nuts. Either way you will feel better eliminate some (if not all) processed foods from your diet! Good luck with everything! I do not have thyroid problems but I do follow a low carb diet, no processed (or mostly), no grains diet and feel great. Let me know if you have questions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you figured out what is going on. My mom has Celiac Disease and has to eat Gluten Free so we have adapted our family meals to meet her needs. Good luck with the transition and hopefully you will feel much better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you figured out what's going on...I'm sure you are relieved just to have an answer and a plan. Good luck on the new diet!

    ReplyDelete