Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Midpoint

I don’t claim to be a super mom (well, maybe a little) but I like to believe I manage things well. I am a full time wife and mother, a full time employee, and a graduate student. My house is never clean and there is always laundry to fold, but I get S**t done. Excuse my language but if you knew me in real life that is exactly what I would tell you if you asked me how I balance everything?

I firmly believe if you want something bad enough, you will find a way to make it happen. No excuses. I believe life is all about the choices you make or let others make for you. (Shout out to my momma and MK Linda Toupin) We are all given 24 hours a day, use your time wisely. If it’s paying off debt, losing weight, or in my case going back to school; if you want it bad enough, you will find a way to make it happen.

I did not take my decision to go back to school lightly. I cried to my husband nightly about what I should do and prayed to God for direction or a sign that I was making a smart decision. I was so worried I would be sacrificing time with my daughter and it would hurt her. I knew what my end result would be, I would be a teacher and do something I have always wanted to do, but the journey scared me a little.

Looking back, my only thought is I wished I had started school sooner. At the end of April I will be at my halfway point and I am set to graduate my 42 hour MAT program in December of this year. 1.5 years of my life is all it cost. (and $$$ student loans but such is life) That’s not bad at all. My daughter has not been neglected one bit. In fact, on the nights I have class her Aunt Amanda comes over (if daddy is at baseball) or she spends quality one-on-one time with her daddy and he puts her to bed. I am very lucky to have the support of my husband and family.

photo

This picture encouraged me to write this post. I put Dora on in the living room tonight so she could play while I was in class in our office. She came in and pulled out some markers and sat in the office with me and that was fine by me. I want to remember these good memories of the time I went to school when Kendall was two and see how I made it all work.

If I can encourage anyone who is struggling to make a decision in their life, whether it’s school, work, or hobby related, I hope this was of value. There is never a better time to start something than today!

8 comments:

  1. That is so awesome that you will graduate in December & be a teacher! Yay! :) Go you for pursuing your dreams, even with a little one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! If you want something bad enough, you will find a way to make it work! Absolutely! Kendall sees you studying and working hard so it's a great influence on her. She will appreciate it! Just ask my daughter that basically went to college with me! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. way to go hun! you are awesome! being a super mom is hard ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so right on this! You're doing a great job fitting everything in, Way to go Super Shelli! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advise Shelli! I saw a quote on Facebook last night, "Be the kind of woman that makes other women want to be you." I hope Kendall wants to be just like her mama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's so great that you went back to school!! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete