Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Ta-ta situation

A few weeks ago I began feeling a dull ache in my right breast. I had starting lifting weights recently so I blamed it on chest fly's  Then I had my period and my boobs were super tender. Like first trimester pregnant kind of tender. I blamed that on it being my first cycle on Synthroid. Maybe since my hormones in my body are crazy it's making my boobs feel pregnant?

Then on a Saturday night I was feeling my boobs up because they were achy and I felt something in the right one. It felt like really hard breast tissue and it moved. I started freaking out and stayed up way too late googling on my phone about breast cancer.

When you're a woman and you feel something abnormal in your breast, that is where your mind takes you. Society has us so scared about our breasts and of course it is for a good reason.
The next day I had Chris, my mom, and my sister all feel my hard lump. They all agreed I should get it checked out. When in doubt, get it checked out!

I made an appointment for Tuesday to see my OBGYN. I immediately started crying when I went back with the medical assistant. I was so nervous and she was so comforting to me. Let me just give her and my doctor a shout out. I have been seeing them since I was 18 and all throughout my pregnancy with Kendall. It is so important to feel good about your medical team you have chosen and I do.

My doctor examined me and said with me being so young and healthy that it is most likely is a cyst. She wanted me to schedule an ultrasound. 2 more days of waiting. Ugh.

The diagnostic place was really nice and feminine and so crowded. I couldn't help but wonder if any of the women in the waiting room had cancer. So sad. After they call you back, you go into a changing room and remove your top and bra. They have pink bags for those to go in and you put on a floral gown top that ties. Then you go to a second waiting area with a candy, snacks, and drinks.

Side Story: Of all places to run into someone you went to high school with. HAHA I knew this girl looked familiar and we started talking about her biopsy she just had and our lives for the past 9 years in front of everyone. Wow.

Moving on... my doctor had just scheduled me to have a right breast ultrasound. I couldn't help but think that if I did indeed have cystic breasts, that I wanted to have them both looked at in case I had cysts I did not know about. I would want a baseline to determine cyst growth. So I may have told the ultrasound tech that I had nipple discharge and forgot to tell my doctor. So I had an ultrasound done on both breasts. Sneaky, sneaky!

A prenatal ultrasound is way more fun that a breast ultrasound. It wasn't uncomfortable, in fact it was kind of like a massage with warm gel but it's more fun seeing a baby move on the screen. I kept asking the tech questions and she kept telling me she couldn't say anything because she doesn't read the scans. Bummer. She did reassure me at the end that I didn't need to let this ruin my weekend. That really meant a lot to me!

RESULTS
Let's just cut to the chase here. The ultrasound found nothing. I spoke with my doctor yesterday and she said that if I was still experiencing pain or lumps she could refer me to a surgeon for more tests.

I will be honest and say that it makes me feel a little silly. It could have been my period or me messing with the area so much that it began to hurt. My doctor and the Endo both said it was not related to Synthroid. So my doctor suggested I wait and if it bothers me we can go from there.

I don't feel silly about overreacting. I think it is important to know your body and get it checked out when something isn't right. No one knows your breasts more than you do so get familiar with them and get checked out if you have any concerns. You cannot put a price on peace of mind!

Thanks for listening!
 

7 comments:

  1. I already told you that I always over react too =)
    But you're right you can't put a price on piece of mind. If you ever think something is wrong you HAVE to get it checked out. Imagine if you had ignored it and it HAD been something serious. I do this with my son too. When I think he might be sick or might be getting sick I debate on taking him to the doctor at first but then always end up going. Even if it turns out that he's fine and just has a cold or whatever at least I can rest knowing that I took him in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a relief! I'm glad you went to get checked just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have done the EXACT same thing! Don't feel silly, ever, when it comes to your body and your health! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not silly at all, I just want to know why you didn't bring your Dad? {Inside Joke} I'm Kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you had it checked out and I'm happy that it was nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good PSA at the end. I'm just so relieved that it was nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you got clear results! I don't think you can be too careful when it comes to stuff like that. When in doubt, get checked out!

    ReplyDelete