Thursday, April 25, 2013

True Beauty & Book Club Read

I'm linking up with some beautiful ladies for a very important topic. Beauty. I think from the moment I became a "woman" (aka puberty) I have had self-image issues. I have always wanted to be ten pounds skinnier and a size smaller. Like most females, I am constantly trying to dress or look a certain way. My husband jokes that I care more about impressing other women than him. Is he right?
button

Knowing I have insecurities has never really bothered me because I know I am not alone. It's just how women are, right? But knowing that my sweet, beautiful 2.5 year old daughter Kendall might struggle with insecurities one day, absolutely breaks my heart. 

I don't want her to compare herself to another girl. I don't want her to weigh herself everyday. I don't want her to dread shopping for clothes. I don't want her to constantly say she is going to start a diet. I don't want her to think she is ever anything less than a beautiful, smart, wonderful child of God who was created perfectly the way she is. 


Being a mother of a daughter I have the important task of modeling a strong, beautiful woman. I am the major female influence in  her life and how I see myself and treat my body will influence her self-image tremendously.




1. I take care of my appearance and appear put together most of the time.
I do my hair and makeup every day. You know that phrase "look like a million bucks and you will feel like a million bucks"? Well I believe if you look put together you will feel put together. I may skip some days but I feel more confident when I know I dolled up. :) I let Kendall play with my makeup brushes and help fix her own hair. I want her to take pride in her appearance.

2. I take care of my body.
I have exercised on a weekly basis for several months. It's something I do now on the regular 2-3 times a week. I let Kendall join in on the fun. She has her own set of "weights" and she loves my JM videos. She will even correct me if I am half-assing the moves and she also cheers me on and says "you can do it mommy". I want her to see that exercising is a normal and routine activity that each person must take time for.

3. Positive Affirmations
Ever seen this video? I think it is so important to tell yourself everyday that "you is kind, you is smart, you is important". If you don't believe that you are worth something, how can anyone else? You are your number one fan! Kendall and I will repeat affirmations all the time. I'm beautiful. I'm smart. God made me. I love me.

Because I am more than a mother, let me get to the actual link up rules... 3 things I love about me.

1. I am driven. If I want something, I find a way to get it. I make things happen. I am very proud of my accomplishments and so excited about my future in education. I know I will do great.



2. I love my smile.





3. I love my lips. I won a lip print content once. We had to put on lipstick and kiss an index card and then everyone voted who had the best kiss print. Yours truly. ;)



BOOK CLUB ALERT!
My IRL book club is going to read the Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald and then go to see the movie together. If you're interested in reading along with me and want to download the audiobook for FREE go HERE. I just downloaded it to my itunes and I'm going to listen at work. :)

10 comments:

  1. you have the prettiest, fullest lips! jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THIS POST! I think you are gorgeous! You will raise a gorgeous daughter inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, before I read your 3 things I thought "She has the best lips! I bet guys wanted to kiss them a lot!!" ha ha! So I'm glad you know you have a good thing going on there! :)

    Your first 3 things were amazing! If all moms taught their daughter's those things we wouldn't have had to do this link up today! You are one amazing mother!

    Oh, and Kendall looks like Bonnie Blue Butler from Gone W/ The Wind in that picture! I seriously did a double take!!! she's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great post!! You are such a beautiful woman! Inside AND out! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post! I have boys, but I don't think that the rules are that much different. It's important to be a role model for them to be confident & feel good about themselves.

    AND FREE Gatsby?! Yes please!!! I <3 that book! Can't wait to see the movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so,glad you linked up today!! This is why I wanted to do this, so women like you can show that they are passing good feelings on to their daughters!! We need them to know that they are beautiful no matter what!! I love your post, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your lips are amazing! I put that down as one of my three things also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shelli, thank you for linking up with us today. I love your post, you went on and above. The stuff about your daughter feeling the same way we feel sometimes really hit home for me. I don't want my girls to struggle with body issues. Ugh...Breaks my heart to think about it. For the record I love your lips and I think your beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always get nervous thinking about if I have a daughter some day for the reasons you listed out. I want my kids to have a good self image and not worry what other think. You do have great lips, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post!! I definitely believe you feel better when you take time to look your best. Today I'm wearing sweats, but my hair is still done, and makeup done!! Kendall is do sweet. I bet she loves getting all dolled up with Mommy!!

    ReplyDelete