Monday, May 6, 2013

Making Money Monday: Buying & Selling on eBay

I'm starting a blog series on one of my favorite hobbies. I like to buy and sell stuff on the Internet. I'm no expert and there are several more informative resources available if you Google it, but I have friends and family who are always asking me how I do it so I thought I would share my tips.

Today I will discuss one of the Internets' good and faithful gems...

Selling on eBay

More specifically eBay from your iPhone. It is so easy.


Download the free app! If not to sell, then to browse!


You can make a listing straight from the app and it guides you through each step. Here are some of my current listings.


Sell things when people will be shopping for them. You will have trouble selling a 2T winter coat in the middle of May. Think about when you shop for things and sale accordingly. 

Also timing is everything. If your auction ends at 1 am on a Tuesday night, people will miss out. Time it so your listings end when people are going to be browsing like in the evenings or on the weekend. 

Research how much your item is selling for before you list it so you can be sure your pricing is in range with what they're selling for. 

If I am really listing a lot of items on a weekly basis, I average between $50-$75 a month in eBay sales. 

Shopping on eBay

I like to look up name brand things on eBay because typically you can find really nice items for decent prices AND they hold value so you can sell them again when you're done using it. 

Here is my watch list as of this morning and below are items I watched but ended up not bidding on. I try not to get excited when an auction is ending because the price can go up quickly. I try to have an idea in my head of what I am willing to pay for an item. Also I try to attract free shipping listings. I love when I don't have to pay for shipping. 



Here are some of my recent purchases. 


3 pairs of shorts for $14. YES!

And 9/10 they are exactly what was pictured. Like my new dress...



I also shop for specialty clothes and name brand clothes for Kendall. I typically always buy her 1-2 pairs of Children's Place jeans and a few holiday tops on eBay. 

I really could write a whole blog series dedicated to my eBay experiences but I hoped my tips have helped summarize what you can do on eBay. 

If you have any specific questions I will be more than happy to answer them!! Leave them in the comments section. Happy Selling and Shopping!

Next Week: How I make $$$ with Facebook Yard Sale Groups




3 comments:

  1. Oh I love me some Facebook yard sale groups. I can't wait to read about how you do it though. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious when it comes to doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally doing this.... this could be really good or really bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you use to determine shipping when you are selling? I dont feel like I ever know what I'm doing with it, lol.

    ReplyDelete