Thursday, May 29, 2014

I Hate Interviews

I had my first teaching interview yesterday and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I was very excited to even get an interview because I know it is very difficult to do around these parts. Public schools around here get hundreds of applicants. So I am very fortunate to have been considered.

The interview was in the same district where I did my student teaching. I was very confident going in because I have great references from that school.

I feel like I answered all the questions coherently. I excelled with some questions but there were a few that caught me off guard.

The focus of the interview was on reading since there are primary openings and a reading 4/5th position. Reading was the topic I was most worried about answering going into the interview because there are so any facets and my experience is limited.

I taught reading in my student teaching placements and I have knowledge of various effective reading teaching methods. However, I just felt like I had trouble articulating how I would teach reading. I know what I've seen and things I have liked, but the truth is, I don't know how I would choose to teach reading until I know my grade and my students.

I guess after any interview you always reflect and think about all the things you could have said. I wish they could see my work, see how I am with kids, see me teach.

I won't know anything for a few weeks. The principal told me not to get discouraged if I don't hear anything soon so I hope that's a good sign.

Did I mention there was a written performance assessment? Yikes!

Anyway, if it doesn't work out i just need to chalk this interview up to good experience and know it wasn't the place for me.

Do you loathe interviews?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. Teaching interviews are tough I mean every kid is different each grade is different its so hard to categorize it. Hope you got the job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there and keep applying in the mean time! My crazy husband loves interviews, he's nuts! I hate them, I get all tongue tied. Although I've really only ever had 2 in my whole life. I already dread when I get back in the work force and have to interview again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate interviews. I am always so nervous and worried that I'll say something wrong. I hope you get the position!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about not knowing how to teach something until you actually have the kids and the reading levels. Reading is the hardest thing to teach, IMO, and I'm a reading teacher. Ha! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete