Friday, May 16, 2014

My thoughts on being a mom the second time around...

I had a lot of people tell me that the hardest transition for them as a mother was going from 1 to 2 children. Adley is almost 2 months old and I don't know if I fully agree with that advice, but then we are just getting the hang of all of this family of 4 stuff.
Mornings are tough. Chris leaves super early, so I get the little ones ready, feed them, gather all the bags, and get us out the door really, really LATE. Thank goodness, my dad is my boss until I start teaching (hopefully) in the fall. I will discuss mornings another day.

Anyway, what no one tells you is how different you are as a mother the second time around.

1. I'm much calmer with my second newborn than I was with my first. She's crying? Ok, let me figure it out. I'm not as panicked. She wants to nurse again? Oh, she's probably cluster feeding. I just feel like I have all this down. I know what to do with my baby now because I've done it before.

2. My anxiety is at a 10 about everything. Kind of contradicts #1, right? Let me explain. All I do is compare. Kendall's baby acne never did that... better call the pediatrician. Let me google it and freak out. Each child is different and I'm learning this every day. I think with each kid your anxiety/worry/fear for their well being goes up 100%.

3. I feel like super mom! I feel very confident as a mother. I had to remind myself to slow down during the first 6 weeks. I just felt so awesome. Except when I wasn't getting sleep of course.

4. I know what I like and don't like for my baby.I know what worked for me the first time. I know what kind of bottles and pacifiers I like. I know that I would rather dress Adley in a gown for bed than one of those sleepers with a million snaps. Etc.

5. Oh the love! It is just the best having these two adorable children! People will tell you this, but you never really know it until you experience it.

  

1 comment:

  1. I agree I was much better prepared with my second and Im a lot calmer then I feel bad because my oldest is like why are you so nice to him. I may have been a stressed out teenage mom whoops

    ReplyDelete