Monday, July 7, 2014

Adventures in Breastfeeding (Dairy)

It wasn't a question if I would breastfeed Adley. I successfully nursed Kendall a little over a year (took a month or so to wean) and didn't regret a single second.
Fast forward to this past March when Adley was born and I was back in the nursing game! Breastfeeding the second time around has been a great experience thus far, and I credit a lot of that to being a more experienced (and more calm) mother.

























I am lucky to have a great supply and Adley is a latching champ. Ha!

However, I am facing a different kind of struggle! And that is one of no dairy.

Adley had a few diapers that left me worried and concerned. I talked to my doctor about them and she suggested I cut out dairy for a week or so and see what happens. I am guessing that I will slowly reintroduce dairy into my diet to see if the issue reoccurs? I don't know.

I have friends and have read that dairy can cause other problems with baby like gas or extra fussiness. I don't feel like Adley is fussier than usual, but she does act like she is in pain sometimes when she is gassy or constipated. 

I joke that cheese makes me foam at the mouth and brag about having the willpower to avoid a Krispy Kreme donut because it has dairy in it, but I really am ok with changing my diet. I would do whatever I need to do to keep giving her my milk, unless I knew it wasn't good for her. 

I've been getting creative with my dairy free options. I found some Ghiardelli chocolate chips I can eat and honey tastes good on toast. I need to chuck the Mint Chocolate chip and provolone cheese from the fridge though. They just keep looking at me.

Ever experience this? Know of any good dairy free meals/foods?


2 comments:

  1. How is this going for you? And for Adley, notice any changes in her? Sorry, I'm a bad friend for not checking back in w/ you last week about this. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had some advice! I wouldn't have even thought about donuts!!!! =(

    ReplyDelete