My good friends at Red Gold Tomatoes contacted me about another fun contest they are hosting. They are giving away some awesome Lasagna kits on Facebook now until Feb. 13! Go check them out! You can find their page here https://www.facebook.com/RedGold/timeline.
I’m a big fan of yummy and EASY recipes. I don’t have time to buy a bunch of random ingredients and spend hours in the kitchen. I have 2 small children, remember? So, I was delighted to test drive some of Red Gold’s items to use in a lasagna!
ALL IN ONE LASAGNA
1/2 cup water
1 (28 ounce) can Red Gold® Crushed Tomatoes, or 2 (15 ounce) cans Red Gold Crushed Tomatoes
2 (14.5 ounce) cans Red Gold® Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic & Oregano
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Salt to taste
1 (16 ounce) box traditional lasagna noodles, uncooked
1 (15 ounce) carton low fat ricotta cheese
3 cups (16 ounce) shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• Preheat oven to 350o F. In large mixing bowl combine water, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning and salt.
• Cover the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan with 1½ cups of sauce mixture. Arrange 1/3 of noodles on top of sauce, slightly overlapped. Top with ½ of ricotta cheese, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and 1 cup of sauce. Repeat layers and top with last 1/3 of noodles and the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
• Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 to 1½ hours; until noodles are cooked. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
• The recipe makes 12 servings, but you could divide the recipe into two 9x9 inch baking dishes and freeze one for a wintry night supper.
1. Add 1 pound ground Italian sausage or lean ground beef, cooked and drained, to the tomato mixture of the basic recipe.
2. For added color, flavor and nutrition add 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and water removed, as another layer after the cheese layers.
3. Add both Italian sausage and spinach for great nutritional value and appearance. Use each as a layer in the recipe.
4. Add fresh basil to sauce for added color and flavor or sprinkle fresh basil on top as a garnish.
5. Use fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced, as an option to shredded mozzarella cheese.